How to care for your engagement ring
November 20, 2013
Your engagement ring is undoubtedly the most precious and sentimental piece of jewellery that you own, not to mention possibly one of the most expensive pieces as well. So that you can continue to look at your engagement ring endearingly for the rest of your life, it is important to take that little bit of extra care to assist in the longevity of your ring.
Creating an easy day-to-day care routine for your engagement ring will make sure that your ring continues to look beautiful and sparkle. Here are few helpful tips from the Larsen team of jewellers:
- Insurance. You would hate for anything to happen and find yourself unable to afford to replace your engagement ring. We suggest to customers to either include their engagement ring in their household insurance or investigate reputable insurance companies that insure jewellery.
- Yearly check-ups. Like any other significant purchase that requires service for maintenance, it is a good idea to take your engagement ring to your jeweller so that they can check the claws to make sure your diamond is still nice and secure, polish any scratches or dints and re-rhodium plate white gold pieces. This is an annual service that Larsen Jewellery offers free of charge with any ring purchase.
- Care at home. Try to get into the habit of taking a little extra care when at home. For example, make a habit of removing your engagement ring when washing the dishes. A good idea is to keep a small dish beside the sink that you routinely place your ring in.
- Storage. If you remove your jewellery for work, at the gym or for any other reasons make sure you have a safe place where you routinely place your jewellery. It is important to always store your jewellery separately to avoid any unwanted scratches.
- Clean your jewellery at home. A safe and easy way to keep your jewellery clean is to wash your jewellery with an old, soft toothbrush in warm, soapy water. Gently scrub under the stone to remove any dirt or grit.
- Ultrasonic clean. A good jeweller should have no problem with you dropping your ring off for a quick ultrasonic clean. This takes only a few minutes and will remove any stubborn dirt and make your diamond sparkle like new again.