How to find out her ring size, discreetly.
A man who surprises his loved one with an engagement ring is considered by many, a brave man and a true romantic. I speak for many of us ladies when I say that we are not always the easiest bunch to buy for. If you ask these men what the biggest obstacles were in getting the ring right, one of the top answers is guessing the correct finger size without her clueing on to his secret.
At Larsen Jewellery we spend our days assisting men who are planning the perfect ring for their “better” half and rest assured it is rare that a man will come in and by 100% confident he knows her finger size. So what advice do we give? Here are our top tips to help with your detective work:
1. Does she own a ring that fits on that finger? If so, and you think you are able to secretly make it disappear this is one of the most fool proof methods to guessing the right size. Bring the ring in to your appointment so that your jeweller can measure it then as quickly as you borrowed it, you can return it.
2. If you don’t think you can discreetly take one of her rings without her catching on, trace the inside of the ring onto a piece of paper. Your jeweller will be able to work from this to guess her size as close as possible.
3. Ask a friend. Girls love to talk and chances are if you are looking for an engagement ring then she has been talking to her friends about it along time ago. She may have even anticipated you asking their advice so they may be well informed on style and even ring size.
4. Just ask her. If you think you can ask her in passing without her getting too suspicious then this could be the best way to get it right. We suggest asking well in advance, so that as time passes she simply forgets that you even asked her.
5. Photographic evidence? This is not the best solution, but if you are digging deep trying to find ways to work this one out, take a photo of her hand. This may assist your jeweller getting a little closer.
6. Another option is to compare your fingers to hers and see if one of your’s is a similar size. You could also try on one of her rings and see where it fits on your finger. This again, is not one of the most fool proof options.
7.Choose a jeweller who offers a free resize once you have proposed! Larsen Jewellery gives a free resize with every engagement ring to be used within 4 weeks of collection. This way you can be sure her ring fits perfectly and will be comfortable and safe on her finger for many years to come.
8. Lastly, but only for those that think they can pull this one off should attempt it. If she is a deep sleeper take a piece of string and tie it around her finger where a ring would sit. Measure the length precisely and take this to your jeweller for them to work off.