8 Tips to find out her ring size!
When setting out on the journey to surprise your partner with a proposal, there are many decisions that will need to be made along the way. Some opt to propose without a ring, concerned they will not make the right choice, then choose the ring together. But if you are one who has the confidence to surprise your partner with an engagement ring then hats off to you! We are here to help you make the perfect choice.
On top of all the decisions you will have to make; the design, the type of gemstone or diamond and the budget, you will also want to make sure the ring fits! Or as close as possible. It is fairly common to have to resize an engagement ring a few sizes up or down but the aim is to guess as accurately as possible. There are two reasons for this, firstly, your future fiancée will find it hard to part with the ring, even if it is just for a week or two, and secondly, major resizing can affect the integrity of the design.
So, this leads to the obvious question of how do you guess your partner’s engagement ring size? A question you will certainly be asking yourself if you are planning on surprising her with an engagement ring? Thankfully there are a few methods that you can go about attaining this without raising any suspicions.
So what advice do we give? Here are our top tips to help with your detective work:
1. Does she own a ring that fits on that finger? If so, and you think you are able to secretly make it disappear this is one of the most fool proof methods to guessing the right size. Bring the ring in to your appointment so that your jeweller can measure it then as quickly as you borrowed it, you can return it.
2. If you don’t think you can discreetly take one of her rings without her catching on, watch the video below to see how you can measure the size yourself. Your jeweller will then be able to work from this to get her size as close as possible.
3. Ask a friend. Girls love to talk and chances are if you are looking for an engagement ring then she has been talking to her friends about it along time ago. She may have even anticipated you asking their advice so they may be well informed on style and even ring size.
4. Just ask her. If you think you can ask her in passing without her getting too suspicious then this could be the best way to get it right. We suggest asking well in advance, so that as time passes she simply forgets that you even asked her.
5. Photographic evidence? This is not the best solution, but if you are digging deep trying to find ways to work this one out, take a photo of her hand. This may assist your jeweller getting a little closer.
6. Another option is to compare your fingers to hers and see if one of your’s is a similar size. You could also try on one of her rings and see where it fits on your finger. This again, is not one of the most fool proof options.
7. Choose a jeweller who offers a free resize once you have proposed! Larsen Jewellery gives a free resize with every engagement ring to be used within 4 weeks of collection. This way you can be sure her ring fits perfectly and will be comfortable and safe on her finger for many years to come.
8. Lastly, but only for those that think they can pull this one off should attempt it. If she is a deep sleeper take a piece of string and tie it around her finger where a ring would sit. Measure the length precisely and take this to your jeweller for them to work off.
How To Measure A Finger Size or Ring Size
This is one of the safest and most accurate ways is to measure an existing ring. This works really well as long as you know which of her fingers the ring fits! It is ideal if she has a ring that already fits her left hand ring finger but if that’s not the case, we can do a simple conversion that will get us very close.
If your partner owns a ring that fits on her ring finger then there are two ways in which you can use this to correctly measure her finger size. If it is a ring she wears only occasionally, and you think you can safely take it to your jeweller to measure without her noticing then this is your best option. Your jeweller will be able to measure the ring accurately and make the engagement ring this size.
However, if it is a ring she wears every day, you will need to discreetly measure the ring yourself. Hopefully, your partner takes it off occasionally, perhaps while showering or sleeping. During one of these moments and when she is distracted or in deep sleep, you will need to seize the opportunity and quickly measure the ring. How exactly do you do this? It is very straightforward. All that you is need is this video, a pen and paper. Remember this is going to be used to estimate the size of the engagement ring so it requires a steady hand and accuracy.
Once your mission is complete, put the ring back exactly where you found it and put the piece of paper in a safe place, not somewhere she might stumble across it.
The next step is to take the piece of paper with you to your next appointment so your jeweller can measure the circumference precisely. Using this measurement, we will be able to closely replicate the finger size. We also recommend taking a photo of the ring you have measured, if possible on and off the finger. Depending on the width of the ring, this could affect the sizing of the engagement ring. For example, a wider ring will often have to be made at least one size larger than a finer ring as there is more surface area for the ring to cover.
The process of choosing an engagement ring to surprise your partner with is a beautiful journey. You will quickly come to realise that it also requires some subtle detective work! The most important thing is to take your time, don’t feel pressured into any decisions and enjoy the process! And remember there is no question that is too silly. Jewellers are professionals who are there to help you and guide the way!
We love hearing the journeys people go on to secretly find the perfect engagement ring and guess the finger size accurately. If you have an interesting or funny story, we would love you to share in the comments below!