How to Prepare for a Custom Made Engagement Ring Appointment
Feelings of apprehension towards custom designing an engagement ring is are completely understandable. You may have spent a lifetime dreaming up the perfect ring, the vision in your mind may include every little curve, line and design detail. If this is the case then it is no wonder that you feel a sense of anxiety about handing the responsibility of bringing your vision to life over to a professional jeweller. Many would agree that we all imagine things differently, so no matter how detailed you describe your dream ring, someone else’s interpretation may be completely different.
This does not mean you should cancel out custom designing as an option. There are many ways to get around this and the number one suggestion is pictures, pictures, pictures!
When scheduling an appointment to discuss your ideas with a jeweller, it is a very good idea to do a bit of preparation. This is for your benefit; to make sure you make the most out of the time you have together. So what do we mean by preparation? Here are a few helpful tips:
1. If there are certain design elements that you know you want then the best thing is to provide your jeweller with a selection of images. If you have a natural talent for bringing visions to life on paper, do not hold back! Tune into your inner Van Gogh and sketch, to the best of your abilities, exactly what you are dreaming of.
2. Collect images, whether they are from magazines or the internet, that are similar to the ring you are after. You may like a particular style of setting on one ring, but love the fine details of engraving and filigree of another.
3. Viewing loose diamonds can be overwhelming, so it is a good idea to get an idea of the shape and size that you are after. Perhaps ask your jeweller if they have a diamond pricelist. This will help you to work out what size your budget will allow and also help to prevent the temptation of spending beyond your budget after viewing beautiful big diamonds!
4. It is understandable if you do not want to reveal your budget at the beginning – no one likes the hard sell! Once you feel confident that you have found the right jeweller for you it’s best to provide a fairly accurate ballpark figure. This will allow them to search for the most suitable diamond or coloured gemstone to fit your budget.
5. Allow plenty of time! Custom designing is not as straightforward as purchasing a ready made piece. The process is much more involved, it is a journey, which is part of the beauty of custom making. Allowing at least two months will give you plenty of time. There is no need to put yourself through unnecessary stress! Remember that the process of finding the right stone and finalising your design to perfection could take at least a 2 – 3 weeks and your jeweller hasn’t even started making the ring at this point!
6. Most importantly, have an open mind and enjoy the process! A good jeweller will provide helpful suggestions and ideas to make sure your engagement ring exceeds your expectations!