10 Amazing Facts About Diamonds
April 24, 2014
Diamonds are arguably the most desirable of all nature’s wonders. Apart from their natural beauty and brilliance, what else makes a diamonds so special?
1. Diamonds are the hardest substance on earth, making them the perfect choice for engagement rings.
2. Owning a diamond means that you own one of nature’s oldest creations. Diamonds take billions of years to form and are created hundreds of kilometres below Earth’s surface – brought to the surface by volcanic eruptions.
3. Diamonds come in a beautiful array of colours, with Pink Diamonds being the most rare and sought after.
4. What many do not realise is that fewer than 20% of diamonds mined are of gemstone quality. The majority of mined diamonds are used for industrial purposes.
5. America has the world’s biggest market for purchasing diamonds with approximately 40% of the world’s diamonds traded there. This is in significant contrast to their status as one of the world’s smallest diamond producers.
6. Diamonds were originally discovered and mined in India. Up until the 18ct century they were predominantly mined there, now they are mined all over the world.
7. The largest diamond ever found on earth is the Cullinan, weighing an incredible 3106 carats.
8. The diamond industry is one of the world’s biggest industries. Each year approximately $13 billion worth of rough diamonds are mined. Over 50% of these are mined in Africa. It is estimated that over 10 million people worldwide are directly and indirectly employed by the diamond industry.
9. All over the world, cultures have different beliefs in the mystical powers of diamonds. Roman and Indian cultures believe that wearing a diamond will ward off evil spirits and protect the wearer from danger. In the Middle Ages it was believed that diamonds could be used to cure fatigue and mental illness. Ancient Romans mythology tells us that diamonds were splinters of stars falling from the sky.
10. Arguably the biggest diamond in the universe is the ‘Cancri e 55’. In 2004 scientists discovered that the planet is made up of 1/3 diamond!