5 Reasons Why Diamonds are here to stay
by Sara Gibson
July 14, 2018 / Engagement Rings
Diamond are a girl’s best friend or so they say. And although they might not be the choice for everyone, they are still the overwhelming favourite.
So what makes a diamond so special and why are they considered the most desirable gem for an engagement ring?
1. The oldest. Diamonds are one of nature’s wonders, most diamonds believed to be around 1-3 billion years old. Some like to use the romantic notion that a diamond is a like great love, it lasts forever. What’s more, no two diamonds are the same, each is unique in its own way, just like that forever kind of love.
2. The strongest. Diamonds are the hardest mineral on earth making it, by far, the most sensible gemstone for a ring that is to last forever. Its remarkable resilience will stand the test of time against all of the knocks and bumps day after day.
3. The beautiful brilliance. Coloured gemstones might shine with their bright hues but there is nothing like when a diamond catches the light and sparkles with brilliance.
4. A sign of status. Possessing a diamond is a luxury, they exude class, wealth and elegance, throughout the world, diamonds are a reflection of status. In America, for example, people have long been inspired by the huge diamond rings of Hollywood and believe bigger is better, often forgoing quality for a larger stone. In Asia, however, the importance is placed on the quality, a lady with class will have a beautiful high colour and high clarity diamond.
5. Quality Control. No other gemstones go through a more rigorous quality control process than a diamond. It is always recommended to buy a diamond that comes with certification from a highly regarded laboratory, such as the Gemological Institute of America. Many of these organisations also require provenance of where the diamonds are coming from, so that you can be assured that you are not purchasing what is known as a “blood diamond”.